It’s been crazy hot in the East Coast… so hot, it’s like death (okay, I’m being a little dramatic… but it’s hot!).
Sometimes I forget how hot it can get.
On Sundays, I have a fitness ritual of riding my bike to the gym, swimming laps, and riding home. It’s what I call a mini BRICK from my triathlon days.
Last Sunday, I set the alarm for 7 am so that I could beat the 95 degrees heat. No dice. I hit snooze and slept in (because hey, I needed it), did some stuff around the house, and then by the time I got on the bike it was almost 12 noon.
Biking in the bright sun, swimming in lukewarm water… I. Will. Never. Do. That. Again.
I got home spent and hungry. I couldn’t even think about turning on the stove… all I want to do is drink my food. Even if you aren’t a crazy person like me, exercising in the middle of a heat wave, you probably prefer drinking your food, too.
I’ve been doing a lot of smoothies and juices especially for Raw Renewal, and there’s ONE amazing ingredient I like to add to my drinks.
‘Have you heard of it?
Well, This super food is a form of blue green algae AND it:
• assists with balancing hormones
• has more protein than red meat
• is a potent detoxifier
• supports the healthy bacteria in your gut (hence helps fight auto-immune disease in relation to candida)
There are so many cool things about spirulina like:
- You can’t even taste it when you add to your smoothies, juices, even soups and salads.
- Since it is a potent detoxifier, it is best to start with a small dose and work your way up. Once you see how your body responds, you can then gradually increase your intake. Usually 1 Tbsp. is enough for a good start.
- If you’re a plant lover like me, you may turn to plant-protein sources such as nuts, beans, and lentils. None of these compare to the protein packed spirulina. Spirulina is 65-71 % complete protein compared to beef, which is only 22%, and lentils, which is 26%.
- It sometimes gets mixed up with chlorella, another potent blue-green algae. The basic difference is that spirulina is thousands of years older and does not possess the hard cell wall that makes chlorella closer to being a plant than algae. Chlorella is a great way to detoxify from mercury and has been proven to help with degenerative disease.
Spirulina is actually a bazillion years old and has been dated back to 9th century Chad. Therefore it has withstood the test of time, stronger than ever.
I made my first Periscope video about this super food. It’s actually a hot mess… let me tell you, before you do anything new, it’s best to have all your materials on hand and know how to stop the recording! Promise not to laugh at me… in the past, I would die if anyone saw me make a mistake but since I’m “lightening the load”, I’m gonna roll with it. I hope you find it informative in the midst of funny!
Click the vid to learn more about spirulina and make the Sunny Smoothie>>>
You can also make these treats for funzies (they include the amazing spirulina!):
Raw Power Smoothie
2 cups coconut milk
½ avocado, peeled and pitted
½ cup strawberries
1 Tbsp. almond butter
1 Tbsp. flaxseeds
Add in 1 Tbsp. spirulina
Blend all ingredients and pour into frozen pop molds. Freeze for 4 hours. Serve.
Makes 18 oz. (appr.)
Green Glow Juice
½ cup kale
½ cup spinach
1 Tbsp. mint
½ lemon, peeled
Juice up the ingredients and and pour into ice pop molds and freeze for 4 hours. I added 1 Tbsp. spirulina and then made the frozen pops. Hence the two-toned pop!
Makes 12 oz. (appr.)
Frozen pops, especially ones with spirulina, makes us happy! (I have to admit, I didn’t tell Kate what was in her smoothie pop until after she ate it… BUT good news, she loved it!)
I found the cute lolly pop molds at Crate & Barrel.
NOTE: If you are allergic to seafood and/or iodine, avoid spirulina. And if you have hypothyroidism or are pregnant/nursing, consult your doctor before dipping into the spirulina.
What do you say?
Once you had a chance to watch the vid, I’d love to know if you tried this MUST have ingredient or have other super foods you swear by. Let me know in the comments below.
PS. These fun recipes are a sneak peek into our summer cleanse, Raw Renewal 7 Day Detox. Spirulina is an optional ingredient in the recipes but I hope you try it!