Do you go grocery shopping with your kids?
It’s something I try to avoid at all costs, but it happens.
And when it does, I do everything in my power to get in and out QUICK! That means I give into things that I normally wouldn’t do. Such as promising ice cream at the Whole Foods if they would stop the wrestling/fighting thing they do. (Luckily the stand was closed that day!)
I always see someone I know when I go grocery shopping. And I really enjoy that, especially as an on-line coach, I crave the face-to-face interaction. Most likely I see my clients which makes it even more fun to shop.
With my kids in tow the other day, I saw a Renewal detox client at Whole Foods. We hugged and hung out a bit, chatting about life.
Well, I forgot about the Annie’s Mac and Cheese box sitting on top of my cart.
The kids threw it in there while I was trying to get out of the store before they killed each other. I was like “Whatever, ok, as long as you are quiet!”
I was so distracted by the Annie’s box, hoping my client wouldn’t see.
Should I cover it up with all the kale and beets? Or come clean?
I called myself out. Yep, I got processed foods!
We both laughed and compared notes on all the crazy foods we buy when either not paying attention or want a quick fix.
I have to be honest, though. As a health coach, it’s sometimes a struggle not feel the need to be perfect. Am I expected to eat kale chips and quinoa everyday? I used to think so.
Even though I stress incorporating the 80/20 guideline (80% eat and live clean and the other 20%, let go and have that birthday cake or glass a wine with friends) to my clients , I was so hard on myself. I told my clients to be gentle with themselves, but I would totally rip myself to shreds if I did one unhealthy thing. That was no way to live life.
Here’s the thing, I realized being perfect gets me in a lot of trouble. I lose myself; what I really stand for.
“As long as we try to transcend ourselves, reach for the sky, pull away from the ground and into spirit, we are heroes carved in stone…Don’t try to transform yourself. Move into yourself. Move into your human unsuccess. Perfection rapes the soul.”
Do you, too, feel sometimes that you have to be perfect as you move more and more towards your clean lifestyle? In order to live a “clean” life (and of course that doesn’t mean you can’t drink wine or curse), you need to watch out for that perfectionism trap.
I’m so grateful to do the work I do. It keeps me walking the talk, and it also reminds me to forgive myself and that the 80/20 guideline really works.
So yeah, sometimes Annie’s will pop into the cart. It’s all good because I know that the kale and beets are there, too. 80/20, baby!
Does my story resonate with you? What is one way you walk the talk during your clean living journey?
Share your thoughts in the comments.