The 21 Day Green Up Smoothie Challenge
Kick Start Green Smoothie has one of my favorite greens as the star ingredients: Swiss Chard.
This power food is nutrient dense and packed with:
- Vitamin A and C for boosting immunity
- High doses of calcium and magnesium (great for your bones)
- Vitamin E for preventing heart disease
You’ll typically find three types of chard in stores and at farmers’ markets:
1. Rainbow chard has colorful red, pink, yellow, or white stalks;
2. Fordhook Giant is identifiable by crinkly leaves and thick, white, tender stalks; and
3. Ruby Red chard has thin, red stalks and slightly stronger flavors.
Regardless of kind, look for crisp, vibrant green leaves with no yellow or brown marks. Avoid leaves with small holes. After a mild rinse, store chard in moistened paper towels in a plastic bag (with a few pinholes to allow air to circulate) in the refrigerator for two or three days.
The leaves and stalk are both edible to blend it all up.
Go ahead and make it!
Kick Start Smoothie
1 cup chard
2 cups almond milk
½ avocado, peeled and pitted
1 Tbsp. lemon juice (or juice ½ lemon)
1 kiwi, peeled
¼ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Boost: 1 Tbsp. spirulina
Blend ingredients and drink up!
Makes 24 oz.
Join The 21 Day Green Up Smoothie Challenge and win a Vitamix blender! Get the deets and sign up. It’s fun. It’s free. It’s easy!