SAVE THIS POST TO PINTEREST
Having a smoothie after your work-out or for breakfast is a super-healthy rock star move. I tell my clients to drink a green smoothie at least 5 times a week or even daily if they can swing it.
But many worry about not having time to make them in the morning. This can get people stuck.
So I have a trick to show you.
Prepping my smoothies saves me loads of time, and I have enough smoothies for a month.
Here’s what you will need:
- freezer safe Ziploc bags (gallon size) and mason jars (32 oz.); both work well to keep everything fresh.
- dark leafy green of your choice (or mix it up)
- fruit especially seasonal (strawberries are the bomb right now in spring!)
- a good base such as a banana
Now the prepping magic:
1. Chop and measure smoothie ingredients according to your recipe. If using a mason jar, start with fruits and then add leafy greens last so they are towards the lid. Oh and don’t add the liquid or protein powder yet. Wait until you are ready to blend.
2. Place all ingredients in the mason jar or Ziploc bag.
3. Label with name of recipe (or ingredients) and date.
4. Store in freezer for up to 6 months.
When you are ready to blend…
5. Remove bag or jar from freezer and pour ingredients into blender along with the liquid and powder (if you are adding). I prefer almond or coconut milk for the liquids and Vega powder for protein. Blend and drink up.
Bonus: For more juicy fruit flavor, you can take your smoothie creation out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost a bit. If you choose to do this, I recommend freezing the dark leafy greens separately from the fruits so they don’t get soggy while defrosting.
You can also make your smoothie ahead of time and store your smoothies in a tightly sealed container up to 3 days in the fridge. I like to stick with glass jars or use the Blender Bottle.
Note: Yes, you can freeze avocado. Either puree or cut into chunks before freezing.
See what you come up with…remember, try all you can to get the smoothie goodness into your body. Even if you made your smoothie a few days ago, it’s waaaay better than a drive-by Dunkin’ Donut coffee or some fast-food breakfast burrito.
Do you have a super-cool smoothie trick of your own? Share away in the comments!
PS. If you need another prepping trick, check out How to Make a Salad Jar.